Glan Agua are participating in the Water Cross Industry Graduate Development Programme
Added February 16, 2017
The Water Cross Industry Graduate Development Programme.
As the water services industry in Ireland continues to transform we are pleased to introduce a cross industry specialised programme which will give participants a unique opportunity to become involved in this transformation. Partners from across the industry have come together to collaborate in a unique Programme, the first of its kind in Ireland at a National level, allowing participants to become true specialists in the Water Engineering space. The partnership comprises Client: Irish Water; Consultancy: Jacobs Engineering; Nicholas O’Dwyer; RPS; Ryan Hanley; and Contractor: EPS; Glan Agua; Veolia; and Ward & Burke.
As a participant on this programme you will have the opportunity to benefit from rotations that will allow you to gain experience of Client, Consulting and Contractor perspectives on some of the largest Water infrastructure projects in the country.
- The Program will be for a duration of 3 years.
- You will spend 12 months at Irish Water within Asset Delivery, 12 months with one of our Consultancy Partners and 12 months with one of our Contractor partners.
- During this time you will have on going mentoring and on the job training.
- This will be augmented by structured and relevant Inductions and Development Programs.
On successful completion of the 3 year programme a number of permanent positions will be available within Irish Water, and the participating Consultancy and Contractor firms referenced above.
Irish Water, the national water utility, has responsibility for the delivery of water and wastewater services to homes and businesses. The current investment plan is one of the largest Capital Investment plans in the state (€3.6 billion over 5 years. As part of the Cross Industry graduate programme you will gain experience in:
- Management of the investment in water and wastewater treatment, water distribution and storage, wastewater collection systems, energy efficiency projects
- Work on projects from feasibility study to completion of commissioning works
- Involvement in planning issues, design review, procurement, quality control and construction management
- Commercial management of contracts
- Learn about Health & Safety requirements
- Work with consultants and contractors to gain all round experience.
During your time within a Consultancy environment you can expect to be involved in undertaking project tasks and engineering design at the various stages of a project life cycle. As part of the Cross Industry graduate programme you will gain experience in:
- All aspects of the design process from feasibility to detailed design including innovative & sustainable problem solving, optioneering, surveying, modelling, fieldwork and financial assessment
- The planning stage, including environmental assessments, stakeholder consultations, planning submissions
- Supporting tender teams in the preparation of tender documentation, tender assessment and recommending preferred bidders
- Supervising and visiting contractors on-site and offering technical solutions on engineering challenges
- The implementation of current Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental best practice
During your time working with a Contractor you will get hands on experience of live projects. Some duties you can expect to be involved in include:
- Involvement in the management of construction activity
- Detailed design from a construction perspective
- Ensuring projects are being delivered in compliance with standards and operating procedures
- Liaison with clients, Designers, statutory bodies as well as management of sub contractors
- Documentation/ record management and handover
- Programme and resource management
- Time and budget management
- Site Health & Safety and enforcement of safe site working practices.
You will be a recent or prospective graduate or post graduate in Engineering (all disciplines) or a relevant Science discipline. You will have a track record of academic success with Graduate or Post Graduate Qualification (minimum L8). You will be a natural problem solver, you will relish working in diverse teams and will have strong communication skills. You will demonstrate initiative, innovation and drive and a pride in the work you deliver. Proficiency in PC skills particularly MS Office and Project Software is also desirable.
In addition to best in class mentoring and on the job development you will have access to significant technical and personal development as part of the Graduate Program. Participation on the programme will also allow you to build and develop your network across the industry.
Furthermore, we will align the training offering with relevant professional bodies including Engineers Ireland and CIWEM to help support you towards Chartership.
On completion of this unique 3 year programme you will have gained invaluable experience and knowledge of each sector. Furthermore you will have acquired a rounded perspective of the industry that will be of benefit in your career regardless of which area you choose to specialise, giving you a significant competitive advantage over your peers. You will also receive a certificate of completion providing evidence in support of your Chartership application.
In addition to the practical on the job training a structured induction and training development programme (Behavioural & Technical) will be provided. You will also be offered the opportunity to work on innovative cross industry projects.
On successful completion of the 3 year programme a number of permanent positions will be available within Irish Water, and the participating Consultancy and Contractor firms referenced.
Successful completion of the programme will require you to complete all three rotations. You will be contracted by your placement company for each 12 month rotation. A competitive and fair salary will be offered.
The Application Process
If you would like to be part of this exciting opportunity, applications, including a detailed CV and a cover letter outlining why you would be a suitable participant, should be emailed to Careers@water.ie by 20th March 2017 citing the reference WIGrad17 in the subject line of your email.